Should bin chutes be closed and decommissioned?
Local authorities across the UK are debating this question. Why?
• Bin rooms are being used by drug addicts
• Chutes often get blocked and clogged
• Chutes smell bad in hot weather
Is there a better solution than shutting down the chutes? Yes, there is!
• Invest in maintaining the chutes
• Survey the chutes to see if they can be refurbished or replaced with larger diameter chutes
• Conduct an impact survey to capture the residents’ views
• Acknowledge the alarming reality that some residents will use the windows of their flats to dispose of rubbish if the chutes close!
With professional consultation, you can make an informed decision about whether to keep bin chutes open or to permanently close them. Recently, we helped one local authority in the Midlands replace all their bin chutes across all their properties. With minimal ongoing maintenance, this investment will ensure that the bin chutes can be kept in full working order for decades to come, which will impact positively on both current residents and future generations.